New GB Machins have to be collected on paper if used

News items. General trends, new issues, new policies etc. **Whatever** you like. WORLDWIDE. Start a new thread on your question. Please do not discuss ebay in THIS forum as we have a separate and popular Forum for that discussion.

Moderator: Volunteer Moderator Team

Sisophon
GOLD Star Super Posting Stampboarder!

Re: New GB Machins have to be collected on paper if used

Post by Sisophon »

norvic wrote:Well everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but most people well aware of the problem as highlighted here nearly two years know that the best way to keep them is on paper, or removed from paper with an alcohol. If you choose to ignore advice that is also in this thread about removal, then you will get mush and ruin perfectly good stamps.
I am afraid that what you mean "most people well aware of the problem" is just limited to followers of this thread. I do not think casual collectors are aware (not to mention "well aware") of this, and even veteran Glen in here was asking what countries have these magic sticky stamps other than UK and USA, so who knows until we soak them? Or should the Russians mock with comments like "....most people well aware of the problem as highlighted in our forum nearly two years..." ?

Don't forget about the children, when they find the stamps do not fall off after some soaking, most of them will try to forcibly peel them off, and of course, stamps ruined. Maybe it is time to educate the children "don't soak, keep the Queen on paper". The Machins are not attractive to them and now they have to keep them on paper making their stamp albums thick like a steak, you can guess, they will just throw them away to save troubles.

I understand that stamps are not created for collecting in the first place, but now these magic sticky stamps is no different from meter stamps in nature, no reuse, no offpaper. "Meters ruins the hobby", and now "let's collect these on paper", it is contradictive.
mrboggler
Sadly departed RIP. Greatly missed here
Sadly departed RIP.  Greatly missed here

Post by mrboggler »

If you wish to continue collecting stamps,either MINT OR USED you WILL eventually have to collect them ON PAPER even the MINT ones,as they will all become peel and stick sooner or later,
so if you collect MINT peel and Stick now,,you collect them ON PAPER,so whats the difference with USED, :?
It does not worry me a lot one way or the other as I collect only Postal History,I don,t collect stamps, gave them away about 25 years ago. :wink:
so all my stamps that I have are used already ON PAPER...and thats where they stay. :wink:
Nunawading Stamp Fair
Last Sunday of Every Month - Jaycees Hall Silver Grove - Nunawading.
norvic
WINNER! Stampboards Poster Of The Month

Post by norvic »

Retail books are sold at most normal outlets that take straight books of 12 or 6 - Post Offices, supermarkets, garages, Card shops, tourist shops in key areas, corner shops, Wilkinsons, etc etc

However I have been told that some supermarket chains have resisted special editions, especially the greetings books of 6 different. I believe Tesco said "our customers just want ordinary stamps", which means Tesco, not their customers, only want one sort because they have different bar codes.
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 255/8,261/5,273, 290/1/3, 304, 310/6, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7-8, 344/6/7/9, 353-5/8/9, 360/1/3
derekburch
Well on the way to 25 post Senior Member

Post by derekburch »

Someone made the very good point that if Royal Mail fixed their franking machines, there would not be the unfranked stamps to attempt to re-use. The cancellation practices are a sore point with me: I often get material that I would love to have for my postally used collection which has been cancelled by a ballpoint line across it. Do you count this as postally used? Bit of a stupid question really, since who knows whose angry hand has guided the pen. Royal Mail, or is it USPS, I do not intend to reuse GB stamps that arrive at my Florida address, and I hate whoever does this for making them into waste paper.

Aaargh! Derek
Jack
RED Shooting Star Posting LEGEND!

Post by Jack »

This is one reason why I prefer postal history ...
norvic

Post by norvic »

norvic wrote:Retail books are sold at most normal outlets that take straight books of 12 or 6 - Post Offices, supermarkets, garages, Card shops, tourist shops in key areas, corner shops, Wilkinsons, etc etc

However I have been told that some supermarket chains have resisted special editions, especially the greetings books of 6 different. I believe Tesco said "our customers just want ordinary stamps", which means Tesco, not their customers, only want one sort because they have different bar codes.
Update on this - I've been told by Royal Mail that they expect that 'mixed content' retail booklets will be sold in a wide range of outlets soon, starting with the January Gerry Anderson issue. Read this to mean, we have persuaded the big supermarkets that we want them to sell these. I wonder what discount the large retailers get?
Ian Billings - Norvic Philatelics - clearing Machins stock see Modern GB Blog Also almost everything non-GB postal history & postcards I show here is for sale: DM for details.
Mystery Postcard Nos: 255/8,261/5,273, 290/1/3, 304, 310/6, 320/2/4/6-8, 331/7-8, 344/6/7/9, 353-5/8/9, 360/1/3
ristamps
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast
AQUA Star Stampboards Enthusiast

Post by ristamps »

Ian,

From another post, this American Philatelist article http://www.stamps.org/AP/Guest1010.pdf claims Bestine works on these new machins. If so, they will not have to be collected on paper.
clay11
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru
2500 Stampboards Post - Senior Guru

Post by clay11 »

Bestine can be found at art supply houses. Also recommended is the air freshener called "Pure Citrus." In Canada it is called ZEP. For the Bestine, put some using an eyedropper on the back of paper, not on the stamp directly. After a short time, you bend the attached paper to lift a corner and the stamp will peal off. Since the stamp has never touched water it won't curl. Give it a few minutes to rest and then put a little talcum power on the back (since the adhesive is not actually removed). Voila! It's ready for hinging.

I don't collect anything modern, but I'd love to hear the experiences of fellow members who give it a try. Good luck!
German, German State and Saar Revenues Wanted...
norvic

Post by norvic »

Thanks, Donna.

We've covered a very similar (sounding) product a while back here - and further discussion on this thread before GB went down the same lane.
derekburch

Post by derekburch »

Several people on various sites are coming up with materials that will give good results in soaking plus "after-treatments" to kill the sticky. I am wondering if the only 'condition' that will be acceptable in the event that one wishes to sell is with the backing paper intact. Otherwise it will mean certifying no thins etc ...

Of course, I don't actually sell (although I really should start to winnow my accumulation), so in my collection I shall do as the fancy takes me. What else!
DLM
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!
Blue Star less than 5 posts NEWBIE!

Soaking of self adhesive machins

Post by DLM »

Hi all again,

With the speed at which my previous query was answered I must be on a roll.

Collecting used modern GB brings more problems as technology advances. Is there a way to soak off of the envelope the used modern self adhesive stamps which have the two pre-cut ovals, and keep the stamp intact.

What I have had to resort to is to leave the stamp on piece and trim all around leaving a margin of 2-3mm. It is not ideal but it works.

Regards
warm
Founder Member Joined April 2007

Re: Soaking of self adhesive machins

Post by warm »

I would have thought this was the only way to collect them. They will be hinged anyway so no need to buy new mount sizes.
Too many have been damaged by futile attempt to remove.
Similar with the big gold horizon machins and Post & Go issues
Tony
Grich
AQUA Shooting Star Board ADDICT!

Post by Grich »

I get a lot of mail from the UK, I also have the same issue :/ ... I leave them on the paper and put them in my album. Usually 5m,m around the stamp. Clean of course with a mount cutter :)
Collecting Australian FRAMA stamps on Commercial covers.
Allanswood

Post by Allanswood »

Get a pair of craft scissors and do this:
Looks good, like they are still on the backing and you can make the "perf's" line up in a set.

Greg - Looking for Goulburn Australia Cancels and Grangemouth Scotland Cancels and Covers
Member of the S.T.A.M.P Club for Slightly Twisted And Mad Philatelists - Motto: "Bring back the lick!"
60022Mallard
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!
BLUE Shooting Star Posting GURU!!

Post by 60022Mallard »

Anyone tried Stamplift on these?
norvic

Post by norvic »

You'll find something about the methods used to remove the stamps from paper in this thread https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9405&hilit=+on+paper
Most methods leave some gum remaining so this is only useful if you want to re-use the uncancelled ones (which is of course fraud).

Be careful, whatever you use, even if non-flammable. Results from my blog using not just any old after-shave but M&S Aftershave

Grich

Post by Grich »

Allanswood wrote:Get a pair of craft scissors and do this:
Looks good, like they are still on the backing and you can make the "perf's" line up in a set.

I really like that idea!
Looks good and easy solution!

Also, I like to keep the postmark if it looks good :)
Brummie
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 4 MILLION!

Post by Brummie »

DJM's topic merged.
Grich

Post by Grich »

COllectors say, the Royal Post haven't a clue, but I think they have gotten the response they were looking for.
These stamps are a pain to steam off, therefore making it harder to use again (illegally using the stamp)
Remember, the last thing the royal mail thinks of is the collectors, they have nice philatelic ones for sale at the stores for them :D
norvic

Post by norvic »

Grich wrote:COllectors say, the Royal Post haven't a clue, but I think they have gotten the response they were looking for.
These stamps are a pain to steam off, therefore making it harder to use again (illegally using the stamp)
Remember, the last thing the royal mail thinks of is the collectors, they have nice philatelic ones for sale at the stores for them :D
Of course they are a pain to steam off ! When did anybody last steam off stamps except from postcards that you wanted to keep whole? Soaking is the only way, or in the case of these, orange oil or pure alcohol. Works well, and I know that there are plenty still being sold on eBay, mostly stuck to sheets of Avery label backing paper (other labels are available).
skilo54

Post by skilo54 »

Here is one I received a month or so ago, straight up postal usage, agreed?

£1.65 Machin with the security slits and finally a postmark on a letter from the UK. I would be willing to say that 8/10 covers I get from there are not postmarked at all or have a dreadful ink line.

Here is one that missed the posties pen, and the hammer:

All of my covers get put in the box, I look through them occasionally, organize them, try to figure out what I want to do with them. I don't plan on trimming them though, I would let the next caretaker make their mind up as to what to do with them.

Have a good one, :D

Skilo54
skilo54

Post by skilo54 »

Just trolling through my photobucket account I found these images of another I received a while back. I may have shown this before, but thought there would be no harm in adding it to this thread:

Slits, security printing, CDS..... a future gem for someone in 100 years or so! 8)

Have a good one,

Skilo54
norvic

Post by norvic »

skilo54 wrote:Here is one I received a month or so ago, straight up postal usage, agreed?
Here is one that missed the posties pen, and the hammer:

Skilo54
These aren't supposed to be postmarked, though if they are on a machineable letter they often will be.

They are never mint in the hands of the sender, only applied at the PO counter, bear the date and value, and service, so a postmark is not necessary. That was one of the reasons for their introduction, to save handstamping packets at the sorting office.

The main thread for covers is https://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16700&hilit=machin
nickmang

GB Machins with Diecut - how to remove these stamps?

Post by nickmang »

How do you remove these self adhesive stamps and keepin the die-cut elipse intact?
That is you won't be left with a whole in the stamp where the die-cut is.

Thanks
Nickmang (Nick)
Collect used Commemoratives and Definitives stamps.
phrag99
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!
I was online for Post Number 7 MILLION!

Re: GB Machins with Diecut - how to remove these stamps?

Post by phrag99 »

Pesonally, I leave them on the paper and just clip to within a mm or two.

The adhesive is pretty good at doing its' job. I ruin 95% of these stamps when I try to soak them.
norvic

Post by norvic »

phrag99 wrote:Pesonally, I leave them on the paper and just clip to within a mm or two.

The adhesive is pretty good at doing its' job. I ruin 95% of these stamps when I try to soak them.
Stampboards has a pretty good search facility which will help find previous discussions on such subjects - http://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9405&hilit=machin+paper
Machaggis52
I was online for Post Number 3 MILLION!

Post by Machaggis52 »

Well, it would seem that someone has figured out how to get them off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-1st-class-stamps-unfranked-new- ... 3a741a81c0
With kind regards, Jim
norvic

Post by norvic »

Machaggis52 wrote:Well, it would seem that someone has figured out how to get them off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-1st-class-stamps-unfranked-new- ... 3a741a81c0
MANY people have worked it out. And equally many keep Avery label paper to stick the stamps to, or they put them straight onto DL envelopes and sell them like that on eBay browse a bit further :D

Royal Mail thought they had solved the problem but they haven't.
Spencer
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru
Senior Member Advanced Posting Guru

Post by Spencer »

I just tried using IPA (isopropyl alcohol) - stamps peel off without any problem as if they are on the backing paper. The adhesive also comes off without any problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol
Jan Kosniowski - always seeking newspaper wrappers
http://www.stampdomain.com
Seapaws

Post by Seapaws »

For sell adhesives I use Citrus Splash by California Scents..its a spray that takes the glue off very easy. Seapaws
Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

Machins. Fabulous series for philatelists, those for whom the study of why a given denomination stamp was issued, and how it came to be used in the postal system are key elements in intelligent Philately. Great range of colours, too!

Anyone ever thought why was a Machin £1.33 denomination issued in 1984, and a £1.41 in 1985? I don't have the answers (and a quick perusal of my British Civilian Postage Rates of the 20th Century, Michael Furfie, didn't immediately enlighten). I've seen very few of these denominations used on intact commercial postal articles (I've been looking since they were issued); perhaps because widespread use of Stamplift, Bestine, Pure Citrus, IPA (isopropyl alcohol), and other horrible sounding concoctions, has reduced most such items to the lowest common denominator: a used stamp.

I confess that until I read this thread I'd not heard of these chemical compounds, of which I'd be concerned if I inhaled fumes. They appear to be as welcome to Philately as a chainsaw is to a rapidly vanishing rainforest?

Why not consider collecting Machins on commercial postal articles, and study the rates, together with other aspects of postal history garnered en route, which may add interest and value way beyond trashed stamps removed from their original cover?

Oh, and if anyone has intact, contemporary commercial postal articles bearing Machin £1.33 or £1.41 please post scans here. I'm a buyer; paying a premium over used price.

Rod Perry
Preserve DNA - retain covers intact. Scientists may be grateful!
Commercial covers represent “Stamps in Action”: Philately’s last Great Frontier
nigelc
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!
5000 Great Posts - WHAT a Milestone!

Post by nigelc »

Rod Perry wrote:Anyone ever thought why was a Machin £1.33 denomination issued in 1984, and a £1.41 in 1985?
These were issued for new parcel post rates.
Nigel
Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

Thanks, Nigel.

Goes a long way to explaining why they are so difficult to find on "entire", particularly as solo frankings.

Rod
drh

Post by drh »

Rod, you're in danger of sounding like a jehovah the way you bang on about demanding people collect old envelopes instead of stamps. Most people have no desire to accumulate box upon box of used envelopes of various sizes, lest their house start looking like something from Life of Grime.

Do you collect A4/foolscap envelopes too? How do you store them? What about meter mail and stampless envelopes used by 99.9% of commercial mail these days? I've tons of these sat in a kitchen drawer if you want, I'll take out the bills and bank statements though.
HKStampsGuru
I was online for our Birthday Number 5!

Post by HKStampsGuru »

I received this item on a A4 envelope and was thinking of cutting the label off from the envelope. Is it worth to keep the entire thing?

Also, what does AAX mean here? And GBP8.49 for the postage, I think it's a bit expensive, what do you think?

Mint, or used?
norvic

Post by norvic »

drh wrote:Rod, you're in danger of sounding like a jehovah the way you bang on about demanding people collect old envelopes instead of stamps. Most people have no desire to accumulate box upon box of used envelopes of various sizes, lest their house start looking like something from Life of Grime.

Do you collect A4/foolscap envelopes too? How do you store them? What about meter mail and stampless envelopes used by 99.9% of commercial mail these days? I've tons of these sat in a kitchen drawer if you want, I'll take out the bills and bank statements though.
Oh, I must post you a photo of my accumulations.... Xerox boxes of DL, c6 covers, etc etc. Oversize covers are a problem but I have at least a couple of dozen that I'm trying to find a way to keep. And then there are the covers, bubble envelopes, parcel pieces with a variety of different type horizon labels on. Oh yes, I'm pleased that I get so many (storage) boxes from Royal Mail!
norvic

Post by norvic »

HKStampsGuru wrote:I received this item on a A4 envelope and was thinking of cutting the label off from the envelope. Is it worth to keep the entire thing?

Also, what does AAX mean here? And GBP8.49 for the postage, I think it's a bit expensive, what do you think?

AAX is the code for Airsure. The tracked (but not signed) service costs a minimum of £5.40 [since 1 May] over the airmail postage.
mozzerb

Post by mozzerb »

HKStampsGuru wrote:I received this item on a A4 envelope and was thinking of cutting the label off from the envelope. Is it worth to keep the entire thing?

AAX is the code used to show the label is paying for the Airsure (fairly) secure overseas airmail service -- and yes, it is bloody expensive, especially with higher rate postage included! I'd keep the cover intact personally, A4 or not, but if you do trim it down best to try to include at least all the labels and the address section.
Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

I'd keep the item intact, HKStampsGuru. Even at A4 size, Philately is a very compact hobby, and experience has shown one is more likely to regret truncating an item than leaving it intact. There is nothing to gain, and potentially everything to lose in trashing such items.

I had hoped to elicit a little spirited feed back from my posting above, and I thank drh for taking the trouble to make some constructive comments. I'm not sure about "demanding people collect old envelopes instead of stamps", as you put it, rather I hope to stimulate some to consider that there is potentially more to be gained than lost in keeping some commercial mail items intact.

Yes, I suppose I'm rather passionate about broadcasting that the whole of a stamp and its original cover potentially has more to offer a collector than does that same stamp once removed from cover.

It's likely a fact that most of us, me included, have at some stage shot ourselves in the foot by reducing an intact item to its lowest common denominator (i.e. a used stamp sans cover), and later come to regret that action as knowledge has blossomed.

It's those collectors who have not been introduced to the concept of retaining stamps on original cover that I endeavour in my communications to reach. My observation, after 50 years in the Trade, is that collectors who embrace commercial covers, even just as a sideline to their primary "stamps only" interests, are more likely to remain in the hobby for the long haul. That philatelic longevity is even more pronounced with "covers only" collectors, I would add.

Further, my hands-on research, monitored from on-line discussions and via direct contact, suggests that future recruits are less likely to be won over to Philately by used stamps (and even less so by mint churn), which generally have little or no intelligent story to tell, than they might be when sharing a story, however humble, that a stamp on its original cover may convey.

To answer some of your specific questions, drh, yes, I do embrace A4/foolscap envelopes (and larger as I'll explain), but only when more conveniently proportioned items cannot deliver what I want. I don't like "big" covers for the sake of size alone. For example, high denomination frankings almost invariably are found on larger sized covers. It's weight that usually determines the requirement for high denominations, and weight (generally) = proportion.

My commercial cover bearing GB £1 P.U.C. (and Seahorses 2/6d x2 and 5/- x2) is 355 x 230mm. That postage rate of £1.15.0d represents x28 the 1/3d ½oz. airmail rate to Australia (for 13½-14ozs.), making such a large envelope necessary. This items sits neatly on a double exhibition page, and has been exhibited without problems. I have a few hundred covers which rest on double pages; they take up less room than a typical laser printer or P.C.

As to "meter mail and stampless envelopes", I agree that today's business/institutional mail largely needs to end up in the recycle bin, but in decades past that was not always the case. There are many earlier meter cancels of the world which are very sought-after by specialists, including Thematic/Topical collectors. There are threads on Stampboards embracing such material.

For Australia (and probably other countries which use them), "Paid" circular datestamps are widely collected, including issues of the present time; some fetch worthwhile sums. Printed "paid" indicias, for which a permit is required from Australia Post, are effectively Private Postal Stationery and eventually, as that fact is more widely recognised, will be more widely collected and exhibited. Some of the hardened Stationery specialists believe (and I agree with them) that the field of "paid" indicias will in the not too distant future make those who have discarded them rather unhappy with themselves.

My advice? Get rid of those "bills and bank statements" (preferably after they're processed), but find shoeboxes/other suitable boxes for the covers which conveyed them; the covers with "Paid" cds/indicia (must have some design merit other than just basic "Postage/Paid/Australia"), and meters and P.O. machine cancels with a message incorporated in design. Some such items of the past 10/20 years are already in demand.

Rod
norvic

Post by norvic »

Rod Perry wrote:Machins. Fabulous series for philatelists, those for whom the study of why a given denomination stamp was issued, and how it came to be used in the postal system are key elements in intelligent Philately. Great range of colours, too!

Anyone ever thought why was a Machin £1.33 denomination issued in 1984, and a £1.41 in 1985? I don't have the answers (and a quick perusal of my British Civilian Postage Rates of the 20th Century, Michael Furfie, didn't immediately enlighten). I've seen very few of these denominations used on intact commercial postal articles (I've been looking since they were issued); perhaps because widespread use of Stamplift, Bestine, Pure Citrus, IPA (isopropyl alcohol), and other horrible sounding concoctions, has reduced most such items to the lowest common denominator: a used stamp.

I confess that until I read this thread I'd not heard of these chemical compounds, of which I'd be concerned if I inhaled fumes. They appear to be as welcome to Philately as a chainsaw is to a rapidly vanishing rainforest?

Why not consider collecting Machins on commercial postal articles, and study the rates, together with other aspects of postal history garnered en route, which may add interest and value way beyond trashed stamps removed from their original cover?

Rod Perry
Couldn't agree more, Rod. You're preaching, if not to the choir then at least to a soloist. Time is the big problem, but if you haven't already you might like to look at the start of something big here http://machins-on-cover.blogspot.co.uk/ and on Stampboards... http://www.stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16700&hilit=+machin+cover

More will be added later, but I don't have the parcel-rate stamps on cover. From that series, the £1.30, £1.33, £1.40, £1.50 and £1.60 were issued in 1983, 84, 85, 86, 87 for the same purpose.
HKStampsGuru

Post by HKStampsGuru »

Rod Perry wrote:I'd keep the item intact, HKStampsGuru. Rod
Thanks Rod for the advice. I actually have hoards of covers from all over the world and sometimes the volume is so much that I simply have to let go of some "uglier" ones.

And for this envelope, there's a corresponding label from Hong Kong Post on no signature required.

Mint, or used?
Machaggis52

Post by Machaggis52 »

Allanswood wrote:Get a pair of craft scissors and do this:

Dressmakers crimping shears will do the same job. (In the case of dressmakers, it is to stop the cut edge from fraying IIRC)
With kind regards, Jim
gavin-h

Post by gavin-h »

norvic wrote:Stampboards has a pretty good search facility which will help find previous discussions on such subjects - http://stampboards.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9405&hilit=machin+paper
Moderator Comment:

Threads merged - well spotted, Ian :wink:
mozzerb

Post by mozzerb »

Rod Perry wrote:Anyone ever thought why was a Machin £1.33 denomination issued in 1984, and a £1.41 in 1985? I don't have the answers (and a quick perusal of my British Civilian Postage Rates of the 20th Century, Michael Furfie, didn't immediately enlighten).
Parcel rates are one of the few things Furfie doesn't cover. However, I've put inland parcel rates on the GBPS website rates section -- Parcels 1966-87 is the appropriate page here. (Obviously there's a lot more that can and hopefully will be added to that subsite.)

As for Machins on cover, it's a huge field, but does seem to be growing in popularity -- competition on eBay for interesting Machin items is often stiff. (Personally I only cover a few sub-fields within that -- I probably have too many collections as it is!) Modern GB stamps with neat crisp cancels are really only going to be available from special delivery items and the like now that inkjet machine cancels are the norm.
Rod Perry

Post by Rod Perry »

Thanks Ian (Norvic) and mozzerb for those very helpful links.

Future collectors are more likely to thank our generation for preserving philatelic history than they would be for delivering them packet material.

HKStampsGuru, keep as much intact as you are physically able. Some of those "uglies" you refer to may have more going for them than is immediately obvious.

I've just ordered an A3 scanner, and in due course will post images of some larger intact items, "uglies" amongst them, and will hope to enlighten and educate any on Stampboards with an open mind to learning more about Philately beyond the traditional.

Rod
HKStampsGuru

Post by HKStampsGuru »

Rod Perry wrote:HKStampsGuru, keep as much intact as you are physically able. Some of those "uglies" you refer to may have more going for them than is immediately obvious.
Will sure do Rod. Thanks!
Mint, or used?
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

Can Ian or others advise please how many Machins now have the U shape slits in them?

Initial 2009 release was the 2 non denominated Machin heads and the 50p to £5. Ten denominations in all so far.

And are those all with the allegedly have non-soakable PERMANENT adhesive on them?
norvic

Post by norvic »

You asked about Machins but the whole non-soakable situation is much wider than that.

1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p - without security overprint

50p*, 68p*, 76p*, 87p, £1*, £1.10*, £1.29, £1.50, £1.65*, £1.90 £2, £3, £5

2nd*, 1st*, 2nd Large*, 1st Large*
1st Recorded Signed For*
1st Large Recorded Signed For*
Special Delivery 100g
Special Delivery 500g

1st* & 1st Large* Jubilee colour/security print

- there are multiple collectable variants of all those marked *

Non-Machins:

Olympic definitives
3250/1 1st Olympic/Paralympic
3252/3 20g worldwide Olympic/paralympic

Plus the following from retail booklets. These were also issued as gummed stamps but from self-adhesive booklets are not soakable with water:

2911 Phone Box
2912 Routemaster Bus
2913 Mini-car
2914 Concorde
2915 Mini-skirt
2915b Spitfire

2942/3 Flowers

3095/6 Otter, Hedgehog

Olympics:
Judo, Archery, Athletics, Basketball, Rowing, Table-tennis, football, cycling, wheelchair rugby, paralympic sailing, gymnastics, fencing

3143 - Thunderbirds
3153 - British Heart Foundation
3194 - Thomas the Tank Engine
3215 - Classic Loco (England)

Christmas 2008 - some values believed to have been tried with this paper in advance of the Machins issued in Feb 2009
Don't know which of these: 2nd, 1st, 2nd Large, 1st Large, 50p, 81p

Christmas 2009 - all values
2nd, 1st, 2nd Large, 1st Large, 56p, 90p, £1.35

Christmas 2010
2nd, 1st, 2nd Large, 1st Large, 60p, 97p, £1.46

Christmas 2011
2nd, 1st, 2nd Large, 1st Large, 68p, £1.10, £1.65

Other possible 'unsoakables', actual production details not provided but self-adhesive within the time period:

12 Feb 2009 - Charles Darwin set of 6
7 Jan 2010 - Classic Album covers set of 10

Self-adhesive Smilers sheets
17 March 2009 - Northern Ireland castles: stamp 1st class NI definitive (regular issue)
23 April 2009 - England Castles: stamp 1st class England flag (previously in gummed MS)
30 November 2009 - Scotland Castles: stamp 1st class Scotland flag (previously in gummed MS)
26 January 2010 - Occasions stamps: 8 x 1st, 20g Europe, 20g Worldwide (also in gummed MS)
1 March 2010 - Wales Castles: stamp 1st class Wales flag (previously in gummed MS)
8 May 2010 - some Occasions stamps previously issued in traditional self-adhesive form
gooner
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster
PLATINUM Star Serious Stamp Poster

Post by gooner »

I notice (in a much earlier post in this thread) that Ian suggested the advent of security stamps could be a place to think about stopping collecting.

Looking at the above list (and this is only a basic listing) - May I say it may also be a place to start. There are so many varieties (see Deegam Machin Handbook) including errors to collect they make an excellent "sub-topic" collection even if Machins aren't your first interest.

If you always wanted a world-wide collection but thought that the span was too great how about starting a "WW Security Issue" collection instead. Start now (actually probably about 3-4 years ago) whilst prices are relatively cheap (even face value for mint in some cases) especially for used.

OR

If you want to really start now- just collect the security issue provided by the Diamond Jubilee issue as there is a definite start and end date to this issue again with plenty of variety.

I actually bought a URL "securitystamps.com" back in 2009 meaning to populate it with such issues, unfortunately both time (and subsequently the number of UK issues) has meant this project has never got off the ground (like many others I start).
Regards .. Dave
Visit the Machin forum at : http://www.stamp-collector.co.uk/MachinForum
Global Admin
The Sheriff
The Sheriff

Post by Global Admin »

norvic wrote:
You asked about Machins but the whole non-soakable situation is much wider than that.

1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p - without security overprint

50p*, 68p*, 76p*, 87p, £1*, £1.10*, £1.29, £1.50, £1.65*, £1.90 £2, £3, £5

2nd*, 1st*, 2nd Large*, 1st Large*
1st Recorded Signed For*
1st Large Recorded Signed For*
Special Delivery 100g
Special Delivery 500g

1st* & 1st Large* Jubilee colour/security print

- there are multiple collectable variants of all those marked *

Non-Machins:

Olympic definitives
3250/1 1st Olympic/Paralympic
3252/3 20g worldwide Olympic/paralympic

Plus the following from retail booklets. These were also issued as gummed stamps but from self-adhesive booklets are not soakable with water:

2911 Phone Box
2912 Routemaster Bus
2913 Mini-car
2914 Concorde
2915 Mini-skirt
2915b Spitfire

2942/3 Flowers

3095/6 Otter, Hedgehog

Olympics:
Judo, Archery, Athletics, Basketball, Rowing, Table-tennis, football, cycling, wheelchair rugby, paralympic sailing, gymnastics, fencing

3143 - Thunderbirds
3153 - British Heart Foundation
3194 - Thomas the Tank Engine
3215 - Classic Loco (England)

Christmas 2008 - some values believed to have been tried with this paper in advance of the Machins issued in Feb 2009

Don't know which of these: 2nd, 1st, 2nd Large, 1st Large, 50p, 81p

Christmas 2009 - all values
2nd, 1st, 2nd Large, 1st Large, 56p, 90p, £1.35

Christmas 2010
2nd, 1st, 2nd Large, 1st Large, 60p, 97p, £1.46

Christmas 2011
2nd, 1st, 2nd Large, 1st Large, 68p, £1.10, £1.65

Other possible 'unsoakables', actual production details not provided but self-adhesive within the time period:

12 Feb 2009 - Charles Darwin set of 6
7 Jan 2010 - Classic Album covers set of 10

Self-adhesive Smilers sheets

17 March 2009 - Northern Ireland castles: stamp 1st class NI definitive (regular issue)
23 April 2009 - England Castles: stamp 1st class England flag (previously in gummed MS)
30 November 2009 - Scotland Castles: stamp 1st class Scotland flag (previously in gummed MS)
26 January 2010 - Occasions stamps: 8 x 1st, 20g Europe, 20g Worldwide (also in gummed MS)
1 March 2010 - Wales Castles: stamp 1st class Wales flag (previously in gummed MS)
8 May 2010 - some Occasions stamps previously issued in traditional self-adhesive form
Ian .. I am not following you ---- the only things in that list with the U shape slits are the Machins .. not the commems - or I am I wrong?

Glen

Return to “Discuss stamps - and *anything* at ALL happening with stamps”